Monday, April 30, 2012

Up and Down Philly Sports Weekend

The upside was way up, the downside was way down. Somehow the Phils keep finding ways to lose to terrible teams, the Sixers proved they have no shot, but the Flyers showed a competitive resiliency that could get them a little further than I originally thought. We'll start there.

First of all, I want to complain. I just want to get this out of the way. I have to stream the games online, and it just so happens, the stream I had last night was Hockey Night in Canada. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of friends from Canada, I have a great time when I go to Canada, but man, they can't cover sports. One of the most frustrating parts, was the intermission analysts. I didn't get his name, but the guy in the middle, to the right of Kelly Hrudey and to the left of the host, was one of the dumbest commentators I have ever heard. I believe his name is P.J. Stock. I hope I never have to hear him again. I hate him.

Anyway. Scott Roesch, whom I reference often from our talks during the games, tells me that Philly sports radio and local broadcasts felt this Flyers-Devils series wouldn't be close. I believe Scott, but this baffles me.

If anyone saw the resiliency of the Devils in round 1, and if anyone involved in the current sports world saw Ilya Bryzgalov in round 1, I don't quite see the intelligence on saying the Flyers would dominate this series. Game 1 was no different.

In order for the Flyers to win, the games are going to have to be high-scoring. The Flyers can flat out score-and how good did James Van Riemsdyk look? Man if he stays speedy and gets back to his 2011 playoff form, their forwards are simply dominant.

But I look for this series to go minimum six games. The Devils and Flyers finished 1 point apart in the regular season, in the toughest division in hockey, and Martin Brodeur has something like 24 playoff shut outs.

Ok-A brief message on the Sixers-they have no chance unless the rest of the Bulls starting 5 gets hurt. Andre Iguodala is an emotionless bum who cannot shoot a jumpshot to save his life. He has had eight years in the league to improve on this, and hasn't.

And finally, the Phillies. A lot of fans won't like to hear this, but I think there is a way to improve this team. That way is to trade Roy Halladay or Cliff Lee. There is no value in the farm system, and unfortunately the team needs to keep Jimmy Rollins, Shane Victorino and Hunter Pence, who have all added up to a pile of crap this year as well. But if the Phils are going to get anyone, they can get the most value for Halladay or Lee...or Cole Hamels, but I don't think the organization would be willing to part with him.

Either way, the team sucks. They scored seven runs against the Cubs, a hapless organization. They have scored two or less runs in 12 of their 22 games. The Phils have lost series to Pittsburgh, San Francisco. Tied San Diego and at best tied the Cubs. And yes, there is a lot of baseball left to play, but how long can we say that for? The Braves are for real, the Mets aren't that bad. The Nats, well, I have yet to figure them out (not that I have anything figured out). They have lost four in a row, and are still extremely young.

Time is running out. The highest profile names on the Phils offense have been nothing less than pathetic, and their starting pitching stellar. Something needs to be done or we are looking at a .500 team and a miss at the playoffs. The nine-game NL East push starting on Tuesday weighs very heavily on the outcome of the season.

I hope everyone back east in the US is enjoying their warm spring weather, enjoying the playoff push, and gearing up for summer. By July, we might see some sun and warmth here, so don't take that for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment